Cosworth opens $50 million plant in Shelby Township
British automotive engineering company Cosworth has opened its new $50 million production plant in Shelby Township.
The plant is the company’s first in Michigan and will serve as its North American headquarters.
The 60,000-square-foot manufacturing facility is in the Cherry Creek Business Park off Shelby Parkway, just south of 24 Mile Road. Its neighbors include JVIS USA LLC, Epic Equipment and Engineering and Grupo Antolin, which recently opened a $61.2 million plant in the industrial park.
Cosworth’s plant will manufacture V-8 cylinder heads, sensors and other mobility technologies, and it will be heavily automated, spokesman Jeff Fox said. It will employ 30 production people and about 100 engineers, scientists and programmers.
The plant is fully operational and undergoing preproduction approvals, with plans to be in full production by November.
An invitation-only grand opening ceremony scheduled for Monday is expected to include Gov. Rick Snyder, Cosworth co-owner Jerry Forsythe and other dignitaries.
Construction on the new plant began in 2016 when the company received a $2.1 million Michigan Economic Development Corp. performance-based loan.
Known for its high-performance engines in racecars, the Northhampton, United Kingdom-based company was owned by Ford Motor Co. until 2004, when it was purchased by Jerry Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven, co-owners of the Champ Car World Series. They diversified the business with investments in mainstream automotive, aerospace and the defense industries. Its U.S. headquarters were previously in Indianapolis.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on June 22, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2017, Signature completed more than 1,106 transactions totaling 34.7 million square feet and 1,536 acres with a value of $1.2 billion.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates completed over 1,106 transactions in 2017.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2017, Cool Places to Work 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.