Downtown Lansing to Add Meijer Urban Market, Hotel, Residential Mixed-Use Building
Lansing’s Gillespie Group unveiled a four-story, mixed-use concept in downtown Lansing that is designed to transform the 600 block of East Michigan Avenue at the southeast corner of Larch Street. The project was announced Wednesday.
The 150,590-square-foot development is pending approvals. Gillespie Group is working with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, city of Lansing, Lansing Economic Area Partnership, City of Lansing Brownfield Authority, and Michigan Economic Development Corp. to manage site cleanup. Gillespie Group assembled 21 connected parcels of land along the corridor that totals 4.2 acres.
The development will be anchored by a 37,000-square-foot Meijer urban market that will front Michigan Avenue and help correct the city’s reputation as a food desert.
“We are very pleased to invest in the capital of our home state,” says Rick Keyes, president and CEO of Meijer. “The Lansing area is a very important region for Meijer with numerous stores as well as distribution and fleet facilities. Bringing this new small-format store to downtown Lansing is a wonderful step for us.”
The first new downtown hotel in more than 20 years developed by Concord Hospitality Enterprises Co. will occupy the remainder of the Michigan Avenue frontage, satisfying an increase in demand for overnight downtown accommodations. It is slated to include 120-124 guest rooms, a restaurant and bar, and conference and meeting rooms.
“The opportunity to open new hotel accommodations in the downtown Lansing community where convention and tourism traffic is on the rise is a perfect fit for us,” says Ryan Maher, director of business development for Concord Hospitality. “We’re excited to be a part of this project and this vibrant community.”
The project will also include a mix of one- and two-bedroom units. Leasing options are slated to open in spring 2020.
“As I’ve said since I took office, Lansing’s time is now,” says Mayor Andy Schor. “A capital city market and grocery store has been my priority for several years … from my time in the Legislature through the mayoral campaign and right up to now. Additionally, a new hotel is a necessity as we continue the transformation of the core of Lansing. This project is just what those in Lansing have asked for, whether they live here, work here, or are visiting our great city. I appreciate the work of Meijer, Concord Hospitality, and the Gillespie Group to make this dream a reality and create an inspirational addition to Lansing’s downtown and Stadium District.”
Construction partners on the development have not yet been determined. A tentative groundbreaking is slated for spring 2019 with the market, hotel, and apartments opening in late 2020.
Posted By: dbusiness on August 31, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2017, Signature completed more than 1,106 transactions totaling 34.7 million square feet and 1,536 acres with a value of $1.2 billion.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates completed over 1,106 transactions in 2017.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2017, Cool Places to Work 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.