Eckhart opens 47,000-square-foot tech center in Warren to employ 170
Lansing area-based machining manufacturer expands in Southeast Michigan
Tech center currently employs 60 workers, plans to grow by 100 or more
Plant to also house 3-D printing lab
Eckhart Inc. is opening a 47,000-square-foot tech center in Warren with an expansion plan that includes employing 170 or more workers in the next two years.
Advanced Technology Center at 6115 E. 13 Mile Road is hosting a grand opening Tuesday morning.
The Watertown Township-based machining manufacturer plans to use the new facility to engineer and assemble the next generation of Autocraft autonomous guided carts as well as operate a 3-D printing lab there. About 60 workers are stationed there now.
Work began in November on the new location. The company invested more than $1 million into the property and served as its own general contractor.
Eckhart has eight locations across Michigan and employs about 300 people. It acquired Auto Craft Tool & Die Inc. in August 2016.
“Our constraint right now is not new business,” CEO Andrew Storm said. “It’s purely manpower.” Better access to a pipeline of talent is a big reason why Storm chose the Warren location.
“We wanted to be close to the industrial base of Southeast Michigan because it’s the largest base of industrial talent in the world,” he said.
The company has relationships with several universities and community colleges, offering regular internships and co-ops to students. Storm said he plans to expand Eckhart’s partnerships with local schools.
Storm said he has plans to continue expansion and is looking at opportunities just outside of Chicago and in the Carolinas. Eckhart’s yearly revenue is just less than $100 million, more than double what it was five years ago, he said. Storm said he expects it to continue to grow by double digits.
“We have a backlog and orders in hand,” he said.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on March 13, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2017, Signature completed more than 1,106 transactions totaling 34.7 million square feet and 1,536 acres with a value of $1.2 billion.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates completed over 1,106 transactions in 2017.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2017, Cool Places to Work 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.