Former Chi-Chi’s site to become an Aldi after being vacant for a decade
Maybe now people can stop calling it “the Chi-Chi’s site” and start calling it “the Aldi’s site.”
After more than a decade of vacancy, the northeast corner of Schoolcraft and Middlebelt roads in Livonia will finally see development after a site plan for the lot was approved by the city council.
The council voted 5-0 during its meeting April 9 to approve the plan, which will include an Aldi grocery store and a multitenant retail building on the place where Chi-Chi’s once stood. Councilwoman Cathy White and Council Vice President Jim Jolly were absent.
Approving the site plan came with some modifications to the multitenant building that would be located on the west side of the lot, near Middlebelt.
Thomas Guastello, owner of the property, said some changes made include adding a brick facade on corners that would wrap around.
“It should be very attractive,” he said. “We want to work with your esteemed planning director and get it done and get it open for the people of Livonia.”
The site has long been a major discussion point among residents when it comes to redevelopment in the city. Chi-Chi’s closed in 2004 and its building was razed. It’s remained vacant ever since, something that caught the eyes of residents, especially as commercial development popped up all over the Middlebelt corridor.
Posted By: Detroit Free Press on April 13, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2017, Signature completed more than 1,106 transactions totaling 34.7 million square feet and 1,536 acres with a value of $1.2 billion.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates completed over 1,106 transactions in 2017.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2017, Cool Places to Work 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.