Livonia development would mix retail, residential use
A 280,000-square-foot mixed-use development is planned for Livonia, pending city approval of a rarely-tapped ordinance provision that would allow retail and residential use on a commercially-zoned site.
Bloomfield Hills-based AF Jonna Development LLC owns the 11-acre site on Haggerty Road north of Seven Mile Road, proposed for the brownfield redevelopment. The industrial property sits between a Costco and AMC Theatre. Formerly the site of Haggerty Tech Center, buildings there have been largely vacant for at least five years, Livonia planning director Mark Taormina said.
While the site is not zoned for mixed-use, city planners made an exception to facilitate its redevelopment, Taormina said.
“I think the community is really supportive of this type of development,” he said. “I think it falls in line with what a lot of communities and the state see as a more efficient use of land. It attracts more people to the area and closer to other shopping opportunities.”
The proposal calls for 30,000 square feet of multi-tenant retail space fronting Haggerty, Taormina said. Behind it would be a two-building apartment complex, each three stories for a total of 200 units and around 250,000 square feet.
A public hearing for the proposed development is scheduled for Tuesday after which the proposal goes to City Council for final review, Taormina said. With no “hiccups,” it could be approved for groundbreaking by the end of March.
It is unclear what the cost and timeline of the project would be. Taormina said the city has not offered any incentives for the development and he does not know of any from the state.
AF Jonna could not be reached Friday for comment.
The company has developed more than 50 properties across the state, the majority in metro Detroit. Its recent projects in metro Detroit include a 78,360-square-foot Somerset Shoppes in Troy, the 8,000-square-foot Royal 13 Plaza in Royal Oak and the 9,880-square-foot South Tel Plaza in Southfield.
The city approved a site plan for a retail and restaurant development in 2015, but it never materialized and the property has since sold, Taormina said.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on February 23, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2017, Signature completed more than 1,106 transactions totaling 34.7 million square feet and 1,536 acres with a value of $1.2 billion.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates completed over 1,106 transactions in 2017.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2017, Cool Places to Work 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.