Mining and steel company opens facility in Detroit
A mining and steel company opened Monday in the city’s I-94 Industrial Park, bringing 80 new jobs to an area that is being revived by major manufacturing companies.
The $83 million facility for ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks on Mount Elliott will be the company’s first location in Michigan, officials said during a press conference.
ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks builds and supplies automakers with laser-welded blanks that are stamped and assembled into a variety of parts including structural rails, door rings, door pillars and door inners.
The Luxembourg-based company received a property tax abatement that freezes its assessment for 10 years. It also received a $2 million performance-based grant based on job creation from the state of Michigan to support its operation.
“This facility is a key part of our overall growth strategy, and it signals growth for Detroit as well,” said Todd Baker, president of ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Americas. “It’s our responsibility as a company to work with these incentives … to create partnerships with our customers and our locations to bring the best solutions possible that we can.”
Honda Motor Co. is among its automotive partners. The 2014 Acura MDX has the industry’s first hot-stamped, laser-welded door ring, which gives vehicles their strength and stiffness.
The new companies mark a turning point in an area that saw little to no development for 25 years, Duggan said. The neighborhood was often viewed as a symbol of Detroit’s failure, the mayor said.
ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks renovated a historic building for its operation. The 313,000-square-foot facility was built in 1926 and previously housed the Michigan company R.C. Mahon.
Morson said he believes the company will spark more economic development in the neighborhood.
Posted By: The Detroit News on February 26, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2017, Signature completed more than 1,106 transactions totaling 34.7 million square feet and 1,536 acres with a value of $1.2 billion.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates completed over 1,106 transactions in 2017.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2017, Cool Places to Work 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.