Why $510M milk processing site is major for Michigan
Mid-Michigan will gain 300 new jobs soon thanks to a major new $510-million milk processing campus that will be built in St. Johns, north of Lansing.
The larger of two new facilities will cost $425 million and will include a 146-acre dairy processing facility built in St. Johns and create 259 new jobs. That plant will process more than 8 million pounds of milk per day, turning it into cheese and other dairy products.
Adjacent to that plant, a second new facility costing $85 million and employing up to 38 new workers will produce whey permeate powder used in animal feed and other uses.
The Michigan Strategic Fund approved about $27.6 million worth of incentives Thursday morning to support the project, including grants, investments and tax abatements from the Strategic Fund, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development and the Michigan Department of Transportation.
Developers said their total investment could go as high as $550 million.
The new jobs underscore the importance of farm products to Michigan’s overall economy. Though best known as the home of the auto industry, Michigan sports a robust agricultural sector as well, producing a vast range of products from cherries to blueberries. The state ranks fifth in the nation for total milk production, adding almost $16 billion to the state’s economy annually.
Milk production takes place at more than 1,700 dairy farms, most of them family owned, which have an average of 176 cows each.
But Michigan’s dairy farmers have struggled of late because of depressed milk prices caused by oversupply and high transportation costs from sending their raw milk out of the state for processing. The state estimates that Michigan milk producers lost more than $164 million in 2017 alone.
So the new St. Johns site is expected to ease that burden, reducing transportation costs and providing new efficiencies into the state’s milk processing industry. When completed, the facility will be among the largest dairy processing sites in the nation.
Glanbia plc, a global nutrition group with its roots in Ireland that operates in 32 countries, is partnering with Select Milk Producers Inc. and Dairy Farmers of America to Form Spartan Michigan LLC to develop the larger of the two facilities. Proliant Dairy Michigan will build the small plant.
In a statement, Gov. Rick Snyder said the project will boost Michigan’s agricultural sector.
“Michigan’s dairy industry is an essential economic driver in our state, and this new investment elevates and expands our potential to rise even higher while bringing new jobs and opportunities to this region.”
And Jeff Mason, CEO of the Michigan Economic Development Corp., echoed that.
“The project is vital to the success of the Michigan dairy sector,” Mason said. “Michigan’s dairy producers, already among the most efficient in the world, will now be even more competitive and prepared for the market challenges ahead.”
Posted By: Detroit Free Press on August 9, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2017, Signature completed more than 1,106 transactions totaling 34.7 million square feet and 1,536 acres with a value of $1.2 billion.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates completed over 1,106 transactions in 2017.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2017, Cool Places to Work 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.