$40M mixed-use development in Ann Arbor to break ground in 2019
A $40-million redevelopment of a vacant site near the University of Michigan medical campus and downtown Ann Arbor is expected to break ground in 2019.
It’s been more than a year since the City Council voted unanimously in December 2017 to approve a site plan for the nine-story project known as The Glen, a hotel with ground-floor restaurant/retail spaces on a half-acre site at the corner of Glen Avenue and Ann Street.
Construction was supposed to begin in 2018 and some residents have been wondering why the site still sits empty.
After some delays, the project is now on track to break ground in the new year, according to the developer.
“Construction plans are in final development for approval by the city,” said Tom Shields, spokesman for the Catherine Ann Development Co. “It is anticipated that construction will start in 2019.”
The proposed building includes 162 hotel rooms, 24 apartments and a 252-space, four-level underground parking garage. Meeting spaces inside the building will allow hosting large events, many of which are expected to be affiliated with the university.
A partnership known as the Catherine Ann Development Co. is behind the development known as The Glen, which includes partners Craig Singer, Fred Goldberg and Larry Deitch.
By digging down four stories and removing contaminated soils, they plan to do an environmental cleanup of the site without any tax incentives, removing hazardous substances believed to have been caused by a previous gas station and dry cleaner.
Another mixed-use development including a hotel is being proposed by a different developer downtown, on the city-owned Library Lot, but voters last month approved a city-charter amendment stipulating that the Fifth Avenue property must stay under city ownership and be transformed into an urban park and civic center commons.
Posted By: mlive on December 29, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.