50-year-old Franklin Athletic Club undergoes $4 million renovation as fitness flourishes
Rick Brode started the largest renovation in the history of his 50-year-old gym on Northwestern Highway in late 2017, and updates continue. The 230,000-square-foot building has been topped with a new roof, lined with new floors, layered in new paint and outfitted with new equipment. Work is about 60 percent done, Brode said, and he expects a near-term return on investment.
“I feel not only will renovations drive up membership, but along with renovations, we’re also making other changes, too, with personnel and new classes,” he said.
The fitness industry has grown steadily for the past decade in the U.S. — the single largest market in the world for gym revenue and membership, according to market researcher Statista. Revenue for fitness centers in the U.S. rose to $30 billion in 2017, representing the most recent peak of a 10-year trend that is expected to continue strong.
“I think the future of the industry looks bright even with the competition because people recognize the importance of health, nurturing themselves and having fun,” Brode said.
Brode said he believes his club is unique because of its size and expansive, open design. The renovations were needed to bring it up to date and give it an edge over competitors, he said. In addition to fresh aesthetics and new gym equipment, crews remodeled the center’s indoor and outdoor pools, 13 indoor tennis courts, locker rooms, service areas and banquet room. The center has remained open during construction, but some areas, such as the restaurant now, have been closed temporarily. More exterior work is planned this spring.
The general contractor is Oak Park-based PCI One Source, while management and design is being handled by Southfield-based Signature Associates.
Many of the members at Franklin Athletic Club are families, and it prides itself on taking “a family approach,” Brode said. Tradition and loyalty have served the center well so far, but new gimmicks — Area 45 Fitness in Troy, for example — are luring some away from the conventional gym. There are also many less costly alternatives — $10 a month at Planet Fitness being the most obvious.
A full membership at Franklin Athletic Club costs $127 per month. That includes access to all its amenities. A tennis-only membership is $50 per month. Brode said there’s a possibility prices could increase after renovations are complete. Full memberships also include access to classes, and there are more being added, such as kickboxing, in part as a response to diverse offerings from competitors.
“We’ve always been constantly changing and creating trends,” Brode said. Renovations are expected to be complete in the fall, when the gym officially celebrates 50 years in business. “We plan on being here another 50 years,” Brode said.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on January 2, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.