Accenture’s move to Detroit supported by innovation hub in suburbs
Accenture plc is preparing to add 200 highly skilled tech jobs in downtown Detroit, a move supported by its opening this week of an innovation hub in Livonia.
The 10,000 square-foot lab and demo space at 13600 Otterson Court offers a place for clients of the Ireland-based professional services firm to create and test technologies to support business services. Accenture’s eighth U.S. innovation facility will support its new regional office, which is moving from Southfield to Detroit’s Campus Martius Park in the fall.
“For the automotive and industrial industry, Detroit was the logical choice, with all the innovation being driven in the region today,” Brian Irwin, head of the company’s North American industrial practice, said in an interview. “We designed the hub to really be a space we can work side by side to do three things: to create new digital products services, to reimagine research and development and manufacturing process needs and to help digitize operations.”
Accenture is the latest company to move employees to Detroit from the suburbs, a reversal of the capital and jobs flow that typically has favored the suburbs for the past three decades. Last month, Microsoft moved 400 employees from Southfield to its new downtown location; Tata Technologies announced it was moving 150 people from Novi to Detroit’s TechTown; and Google is bolting Birmingham for Detroit.
“We welcome Accenture’s decision to expand its commitments in the Detroit area and appreciate the highly skilled opportunities the company is creating for our talented workforce,” Gov. Rick Snyder said in a statement. “Accenture’s investment is a testament to Michigan’s history of innovation and our growing talent base.”
Accenture currently employs more than 850 people in metro Detroit and works with companies across industries, including 95 of the Fortune 100 companies.The 200 new jobs will focus on high-growth areas such as digital, cloud, and security services. A majority of jobs will work from the company’s new regional office at 1001 Woodward Ave.
Additionally, the company is doubling its metro Detroit apprenticeship program with Grand Circus, an organization that offers coding and digital skills courses. Accenture currently has seven apprentices.
“The apprenticeship program is a great example of how global industry leaders are tapping into talent from around metro Detroit,” Grand Circus CEO Damien Rocchi said. “We’re excited to be working closely with Accenture to help career changers make the move into one of Detroit’s fastest growing job sectors.”
The Livonia hub combines a design lab with a demonstration center to aid its clients with data security, blockchain, artificial intelligence, predictive analysis, and more. Unlike other U.S. facilities, however, it emphasizes automotive and industrial development, complementing Accenture’s other hubs in Garching, Germany, and Modena, Italy.
“Continuous innovation is an imperative to succeed in today’s digital economy,” Julie Sweet, Accenture’s CEO in North America, said in a statement. “In metro Detroit we are bringing innovation to our clients’ doorsteps to help them achieve tangible, ground-breaking results faster than ever.”
Posted By: The Detroit News on June 5, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.