Advanced Manufacturing Employment in Michigan Reaches New Heights
Advanced manufacturing employment in Michigan has reached more than 700,000 workers, according to a new report from Detroit-based Lightweight Innovations for Tomorrow (LIFT). The employment level is the highest in the industry since 2006.
The quarterly reports, highlighting employment trends, top jobs, and required skills in advanced manufacturing, are completed with research and analysis from the Workforce Intelligence Network of Southeast Michigan (WIN), and Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee, which are part of a region that’s home to more than 50 percent of the metalworking jobs in the country.
Despite employer demand for lightweighting-related skills showing a slight decline from the fourth quarter, there were close to 26,000 online jobs posted in the first quarter of 2018, up 30 percent from five years ago.
“Advanced manufacturing job demand has created an ever-growing need for talent in Michigan and across the country,” says Emily DeRocco, education and workforce director of LIFT. “Addressing those workforce needs with advanced manufacturing education pathways will be key to our nation’s economic prosperity and national security.”
The top in-demand lightweighting-related jobs in Michigan in the first quarter of 2018 include laborers and freight, stock and material movers, with 2,317 postings; maintenance and repair workers, with 1,967 postings; electrical engineers, with 1,500 postings; mechanical engineers, with 1,425 postings; and production workers, with 1,422 postings.
LIFT, operated by the American Lightweight Materials Manufacturing Innovation Institute and one of the founding Manufacturing USA institutes, is a public-private partnership dedicated to developing and deploying advanced lightweight metal manufacturing technologies, as well as implementing education and training programs to better prepare the workforce today and in the future.
The full Michigan report can be viewed here.
Posted By: dbusiness on May 22, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.