Art Van buildings in Livonia, Shelby Township, Howell listed for sale
The Scottsdale, Ariz.-based publicly-traded real estate investment trust (NYSE: STOR) is seeking $56.55 million, or about $173.80 per square foot, for the properties, which sit on approximately 26 acres.
Tim Hain, director of the Chicago-based brokerage B+E that has the buildings marketed for sale, said in an email that STORE is unloading them “to fund additional development they are doing for Art Van,” but he didn’t have specifics.
- 29905 Seven Mile Rd. in Livonia. It is 61,752 square feet, according to CoStar Group Inc., a Washington, D.C.-based real estate information service.
- 3101 E. Grand River Ave. in Howell. It is 43,902 square feet, according to CoStar.
- 14055 Hall Rd. in Shelby Township. It is 74,527 square feet, CoStar says.
- 4095 E. Court St. in Burton. It is 72,696 square feet, according to CoStar.
Diane Charles, spokeswoman for Art Van, said in an email that there will be “no effect on the operations of the locations” if the buildings are sold.
“We will remain open and continue forward unchanged,” she said.
The Livonia location opened in 1980 and has 26 employees, Charles said. The Lakeside location opened in 1992 and has 54 employees while the Howell store opened in 1997 and has 26 employees.
The marketing materials by B+E say that the five properties’ net operating income is $4 million per year. There is 17 1/2 years left in the master lease with the Warren-based furniture and mattress seller and there are 2 percent rent increases every year; there are also four five-year options for renewal.
Art Van is the largest STORE Capital tenant by percentage of base rent revenue, accounting for 2.6 percent across the 23 properties it has, according to an investor presentation it filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Art Van reported $800 million in revenue in 2017, a 21.2 percent increase from the $660 million it reported in 2016. It had $650 million in 2015 and $620 million in 2014, according to Crain’s data.
The company, founded 60 years ago on Gratiot Avenue in Detroit in 1959, sold in January 2017 to Boston-based private equity firm Thomas H. Lee Partners LLP for an estimated $550 million. Art Van Elslander, the former chairman and founder, died a year later.
Ronald Boire, who was named president and CEO of Art Van in April 2018 to replace the retired Kim Yost, is leaving that positionafter just more than a year, Crain’s reported earlier this month. The company did not disclose the reason for the departure.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on August 26, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.