Beaumont to build 30 urgent care centers in metro Detroit
Beaumont Health has signed an agreement with Atlanta-based WellStreet Urgent Care to finance and open up to 30 urgent care centers in metro Detroit by the end of 2019.
The announcement comes on the heels of Crain’sthis week reporting that Henry Ford Health System, Detroit Medical Center and Ascension Health Michigan are investing more into ambulatory and urgent care. Because of patient and employer demand for lower costs and more convenient locations and health insurers’ reimbursement policies, health systems, physicians and corporations are building more outpatient sites.
Beaumont said several urgent care centers — expected to range in size from 4,000 to 5,000 square feet — will open later this year and early next year at unspecified locations. Officials said site selection is underway, but they will be located in high-traffic areas, near high-volume emergency centers, large employers and commercially dense areas.
Fox said the urgent care centers will be connected with Beaumont’s Epic electronic health record system.
WellStreet Urgent Care has developed similar partnerships with other health systems, said Lee Resnick, WellStreet’s chief medical officer. WellStreet opened its first urgent center in 2011 and signed a network affiliation contract in 2014 with Piedmont Health System in the Atlanta area.
Beaumont COO Carolyn Wilson, R.N., said the health system discussed with its physicians whether to build out more urgent care systems and the consensus was to partner with an established provider. Beaumont currently operates just one urgent care center in West Bloomfield. It operates several multi-specialty ambulatory care centers and specialty clinics and a total of 187 physician offices.
“We are excited to be in a partnership with WellStreet” and its second health system partner, Wilson said. “Beaumont takes its brand seriously and partnering makes sense. Lee Resnick is a physician and has been involved in urgent care” for many years.
John Kerndl, Beaumont’s CFO, said Beaumont and WellStreet will jointly finance the centers, possible leases and property purchases on a 50-50 basis. Each center will vary in size and services, but the average center will cost about $1 million and attract an average of 30 patients per day after three years of operation.
“We’ve had a lot of interest from big employers on true urgent care networks,” said Kerndl, adding that employer needs will factor very highly in site selection and service delivery decisions.
“We hear from our own patient base about same day care and also connecting the 40 percent of patients who don’t have their own physician with urgent cares,” Kerndl said.
As one of Michigan’s largest health system, Beaumont Health has total net revenue of $4.5 billion and includes eight hospitals with 3,429 beds, 187 outpatient sites, nearly 5,000 physicians and 38,000 employees and 3,500 volunteers.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on August 29, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.