Detroit Region Aerotropolis draws investments as automotive hub
That opportunity — or challenge — is the idea behind the Detroit Region Aerotropolis, a multi-community partnership to market 6,000 acres surrounding two Detroit airports as an auto industry hub for manufacturing projects and spec industrial buildings.
The Detroit Region Aerotropolis Development Corp. can also offer tax abatements and capture companies’ tax revenue to maintain local infrastructure.
Anchoring the location are Detroit Metropolitan Airport and Willow Run Airport, three interstate highways and five Class A rail lines. An equally vital draw there is the American Center for Mobility, a 500-acre test site for autonomous- and connected-vehicle research.
The partnership believes the mobility center will stir growing interest in the acreage, even as the year-old center struggles to get off the ground as a site for simulated highway and urban street driving of autonomous and connected vehicles.
“The center has world-class assets that aren’t available anywhere else in the world right now,” Luce said. “Companies are using that facility and will want to be near it. We’re already seeing investments as a result of companies wanting to be in close proximity to ACM.”
The Detroit Region Aerotropolis Development Corp. had already secured nearly $350 million in investments and an expected 2,300 jobs from Amazon, Penske Logistics and Brose North America, the Associated Press reported in March. Amazon and Penske will be in Romulus while Brose is expanding in Huron Township.
Officials anticipate about $68.8 million in tax revenue over the next 15 years from the companies.
Proximity to the mobility center helped attract Subaru Corp. to the area. In August, Subaru said it will invest $48.2 million to build a 60,000-square-foot North American technical center there. The new operation will focus on powertrain and connected- and autonomous-vehicle r&d at Subaru.
In the past year, the aerotropolis also has attracted investments from Piston Group and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ Mopar, which invested $10.4 million to open a 500,000-square-foot warehouse and distribution center and add 100 jobs.
Brose, a German mechatronic door and systems supplier with its North American headquarters in Auburn Hills, is investing $105 million to expand a plant in New Boston in the aerotropolis. Brose wanted to increase its presence in the area to draw talent from near Toledo, according to Luce. The commute from Toledo to the aerotropolis is about 45 minutes. Brose’s investment will include a 235,000-square-foot expansion and the addition of 300 jobs, making it Brose’s largest North American manufacturing site when it’s completed, Luce said.
In September, vehicle module assembler Piston Group, headquartered in Redford, said it will spend $16.7 million to lease a 125,000-square-foot site on the acreage for advanced battery manufacturing. The supplier plans to hire more than 100 people.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on December 11, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.