Ferndale approves developer deal for mixed-use parking garage project
City Council unanimously approved Monday night a development agreement between the city and Royal Oak-based developer Versa Wanda LLC, according to City Manager Joseph Gacioch.
Construction started in February on the long-planned, city-financed portion of the approximately $40 million DOT (Development on Troy) at 221 W. Troy St., behind Rosie O’Grady’s. The city is spending $21 million, financed through bonds, to build a 400-space parking deck, a ground-floor 15,000-square-foot retail shell and shared-street infrastructure along Troy.
“We wanted to preserve the small business character that defines our town,” he said. “That really involves finding a development partner who recognizes the importance of that and is willing to work with us on … staving off economic displacement that can occur with higher lease rates.”
This comes in accordance with Ferndale’s “business gentrification management policy,” the development agreement says.
Versa Wanda must submit construction plans for office space and building out the retail shell by Sept. 1 and start construction by Nov. 1, the development agreement says. Ferndale expects the garage to open in May 2020 and for the developer to finish the office space by September that year; construction of residential units would start by April 1, 2021.
Ferndale issued $20 million in bonds to pay for its portion. The city’s construction contractor is Macomb Township-based Colasanti Construction Services Inc. Versa Wanda is also expected to work with Colasanti.
To help finance the public-private project with economics that are “tight at the margins,” the city and developer are seeking state incentives through the Michigan Economic Development Corp., Gacioch said. The project is also eligible for up to $3.3 million in city brownfield tax incentives and $2.3 million in state brownfield tax incentives.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on July 9, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.