Former Sweet Lorraine’s building sold in Southfield
The building that for decades housed the flagship Sweet Lorraine’s Cafe & Bar on Greenfield Road in Southfield has been sold, according to Crain’s Detroit Business.
The distinctive building at 29101 Greenfield, along the border of Southfield and Berkley, has been bought by Abro Plaza Southfield LLC., Crain’s reported. The company also purchased a shopping center next door with a Dollar Tree, hair salon and Detroit Kid City party service as tenants.
Abro Plaza does not yet have plans for the restaurant building other than updating its exterior, Darryl Goodwin, the listing agent, told Crain’s.
Chef Lorraine Platman and her husband/business partner Gary Sussman closed the restaurant in June 2017. Platman cited health issues in her decision to close the popular eatery, opened in 1984.
Platman opened the first Sweet Lorraine’s Cafe and Bar in a small Madison Heights space in 1982 and the art-filled, two-story Southfield location followed two years later. An Ann Arbor location debuted in 1993 before it moved to the Livonia Marriott Laurel Park Place, where it continues to operate. The original Madison Heights location closed in 2003, leaving the restaurant on Greenfield Road just north of 12 Mile as the flagship.
At the time of the closing, Sussman told the Free Press the Southfield location took up most of Platman’s time and attention, taking a physical toll over the years.
“It’s a big restaurant to operate and it doesn’t get any smaller,” he said. “She can’t be quite as hands-on. She really loves cooking, but she can’t do as much cooking.”
Posted By: Detroit Free Press on January 30, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.