Lyon Township Planning Commission gives nod to Amazon facility
Amazon Inc. wants to put a nearly 87,000-square-foot distribution facility in Lyon Township.
During its meeting Monday, Lyon Township’s Planning Commission recommended approval of the plans for the facility that would occupy a vacant building along Grand River Avenue on Automation Boulevard.
The online retailer wants to use the land for a distribution center and temporary parking area in the Wellhead Protection Overlay District. A wellhead protection area is typically land regulated to prevent contamination of water.
The Planning Commission supported approving a special land use to allow the temporary parking as well as the site plan for the distribution center, which calls for the redevelopment and occupation of a vacant building and a parking lot built in the second phase.
Katherin Des Rochers, Planning Department coordinator for Lyon Township, said the plans next head to Lyon Township’s Board of Trustees.
The board is expected to vote on the special land use during its March 2 meeting to allow the site plan to move forward.
Before the vote Monday night, planning commissioners said the site location is ideal for distribution.
“Whoever picked this site was very smart because we are in a sweet triangle in our community,” Patricia Carcone, the board liaison, told project representatives.
The distribution facility is considered an Amazon Logistics “last mile” operation, which means packages will be shipped from other fulfillment and sorting centers, sorted to routes, then loaded into delivery vans to be distributed to customers, according to documents the commission reviewed.
Lee Vander Meulen of Progressive AE, the Grand Rapids firm involved in the project, noted officials hope to have both phases of the effort completed by the end of the year.
“We’re trying to get the building up and operational as soon as possible,” he said.
The facility is expected to be open 24 hours a day to allow receiving and sorting overnight, with loading and delivery during the day, Vander Meulen said.
The exact number of workers has not yet been determined. Early on, the largest shift at the building calls for as many as 55 employees, he said. Nearly 200 parking spaces were expected on the property.
The plans also call for improvements to Grand River Avenue, directly north of the property, Vander Meulen said. The delivery vehicles mainly would travel using Automation, to the east.
Jim Chuck, another planning commissioner, noted the site’s role in e-commerce.
“This is the future,” he said. “Whether we like it or not.”
Amazon had multiple positions open on Linkedin.com for the yet-to-be-approved South Lyon facility, including a senior HR assistant and an area logistics manager. Applications for those jobs are no longer being accepted.
Amazon in recent years has built several facilities in Michigan. The company opened a regional fulfillment center in Livonia in 2018. A delivery station in Romulus opened last year.
Posted By: The Detroit News on February 10, 2020. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2019, Signature completed more than 1,032 transactions totaling 27.7 million square feet and 2,435 acres with a total value of $994 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,032 transactions in 2019.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is proud to be featured as a Best & Brightest Companies to Work for 3 consecutive years, Cool Places to Work for 4 consecutive years, and Top Workplaces for 6 consecutive years.
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.