Major development would transform Erwin Orchards property in Lyon Township
Proposals have been shot down over the years but Howard Fingeroot said his plan is something different.
Fingeroot, a Oakland County-based developer, will be pitching his mixed-use development proposal to the Lyon Township Planning Commission on Wednesday night.
The proposed development, called Cider Mill Village, would transform the nearly century old Erwin Orchards property in Lyon Township, a family-run cider mill and u-pick apple orchard at the corner of Pontiac Trail and Silver Lake Road. The proposal includes housing, retail, an event and recreation center, restaurants, community garden, nature trail, and community event buildings.
In order to maintain the property’s heritage, the proposed development would maintain operation of the cider mill and 12-acres of the u-pick orchard. The proposal also includes the rehabilitation of three existing orchard outbuildings to support various community functions, events and programs.
“We want to keep the heritage of the cider mill,” said Fingeroot. “It’s a great amenity for the whole township. Township residents have come to know and love the Erwin Cider Mill. We wanted to first and foremost preserve the orchard and mill the best we could. I think we have done a good job of that.”
Fingeroot told The Oakland Press that he spoke with Bill and Linda Erwin about his proposed development. He said both will be in attendance at the Wednesday planning commission meeting.
“I think they (Bill and Linda Erwin) of very supportive of my plan,” said Fingeroot. “They have a done a wonderful job in the community and I think they are looking forward to retiring and enjoying what they’ve created. They are excited because they see the project as something the community could embrace. Preserving the heritage of the property is important to them as well.”
Fingeroot knows that many developers have come before him in looking to redevelop the property. That’s why he said the development will be more than just a subdivison, but that of a community village with a different mix of amenities.
“I’m hoping that residents will look at this project with an open mind and really understand what’s being proposed,” said Fingeroot. “We want to make this an area that is walkable where people can live, play, and work. This will very different than just a subdivision. We are going above and beyond with this project due to the property’s size and location.”
Fingeroot did say that some of the village’s amenities, such as the recreation center, would be available only to people living in the village who paid homeowners association fees.
According to the Oakland County Equalization Division, the 2018 assessed value of the property was $900,730 while the taxable value was $454,470.
Posted By: The Oakland Press on February 6, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.