Mixed-use development, $3.2 million streetscape planned for Hazel Park
A mixed-use apartment building with 33 units and 14,000 square feet of retail is planned for the site of a long vacant CVS store on John R. Road — the city’s main drag. In the coming weeks, crews will begin overhauling John R., slimming it from four lanes to three, widening sidewalks and adding parking and bike lanes from Eight Mile Road to the Chrysler Service Drive. Nine Mile Road from Dequindre Road to the Ferndale border at West End Street is also targeted for a road diet and repairs. The idea is to create pedestrian-friendly infrastructure as a foundation for new development.
“That is what we’re hoping to be the re-emergence of a downtown in Hazel Park,” Jeff Campbell, community development director for the city, told Crain’s.
“It is extremely exciting,” Campbell said. “The developers want to work with us to attract unique, destination businesses in Hazel Park.”
The apartment building would be kitty-corner to popular restaurants Mabel Gray and Latido at joebar. The old CVS building, which closed around 15 years ago, would be demolished. Woodward Detroit CVS sold the property to Lang in January 2018 for $750,000, according to property records.
Lang declined to comment on the new development.
The architect for the project is Ron & Roman LLC, based in Birmingham. Canton-based Cadillac Asphalt won the bid for John R. road work, expected to be complete before the end of the year. Work on Nine Mile is expected to be complete this season, but might get pushed until 2020, Campbell said. The road construction is being funded by a $939,000 federal grant and road bonds issued by the city.
Ed Klobucher, city manager for Hazel Park, said the new development and streetscape will “make the whole area pop” and hopefully lure millennials.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on May 14, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.