New distribution center creating up to 766 jobs
An out-of-state developer is breaking ground on a distribution center in the region for a major shipping company.
The Kalamazoo County Board of Commissioners recently approved a brownfield plan for the construction of a FedEx distribution center in Portage, at 6701 Portage Rd.
Indianapolis-based Scannell Properties will redevelop the property with the construction of a roughly 321,000-square-foot distribution center, according to documents from the Kalamazoo County Brownfield Redevelopment Authority.
The distribution center will occupy the central portion of the roughly 37.4-acre site with asphalt parking and drives and two stormwater detention basins covering the remainder of the parcel.
The project should break ground this fall, and it is expected to be finished next fall.
When the distribution center is fully operational, there is an opportunity for 766 employees, with the potential of 158 additional contract employees.
Project Spartan is anticipated to be an over $25 million private investment with another estimated $15 million to $20 million of personal property investments expected.
The Kalamazoo County Brownfield Redevelopment Authority will incur administration and operating costs related to implementation of the brownfield plan. The city of Portage will shoulder public infrastructure eligible costs related to reconstructing a portion of Portage Road.
Scannell Properties is responsible for all other eligible costs, such as due diligence, site demolition, all other public infrastructure improvements, site preparation activities and preparation of the brownfield plan.
Posted By: Grand Rapids Business Journal on November 14, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.