Nonprofit completes new HQ
A local nonprofit has a new green headquarters.
Kids’ Food Basket is now moving into its new headquarters in Grand Rapids, at 1300 Plymouth Ave. NE.
Construction on the two-story, 27,000-square-foot building began in October 2018 and involved extensive site work, removal of unsalvageable structures on site, new construction of a warehouse and attached corporate office, greenhouses and workshop/classroom space.
The re-routing of public sidewalks and expansion of public roads were also included in the project.
The building was designed and built in accordance with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, standards and is expected to be LEED certified.
“We’re deeply committed to growing nourishing food for our community, as well as educating our children and community on the fundamentals of growing healthy food right here in the city,” said Bridget Clark Whitney, founding CEO, Kids’ Food Basket.
“The same is to be said for the building we operate in. … Our new facility speaks to the way we view this evolved model and is critical for both economic growth and food equity.”
Grand Rapids-based Orion Construction served as general contractor for the new headquarters. Orion and many local subcontractors contributed to the capital campaign in a show of support for Kids’ Food Basket’s mission. Orion spearheaded a Contractors for Kids event that raised more than $750,000 in cash, materials, services and labor leading up to the groundbreaking.
“Our team has been engaged in this project since it was just a concept years ago,” said Roger Rehkopf, president, Orion Construction. “We recognize the nobility of KFB’s mission, and we understand the importance of this expansion as it relates to the health of our community.”
An additional $180,000 was contributed through the John & Amanda Wheeler Trust, Wheeler Family Foundation and Orion Construction.
Posted By: Grand Rapids Business Journal on August 15, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2019, Signature completed more than 1,032 transactions totaling 27.7 million square feet and 2,435 acres with a total value of $994 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,032 transactions in 2019.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is proud to be featured as a Best & Brightest Companies to Work for 3 consecutive years, Cool Places to Work for 4 consecutive years, and Top Workplaces for 6 consecutive years.
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.