Packaging company investing $600M in expansion
A maker of coated recycled paperboard is planning a $600 million expansion in the region.
Atlanta-based Graphic Packaging International plans to invest the funds for a new machine and subsequent building expansion to produce coated recycled paperboard, used to make such products as cereal boxes, at the existing mill in Kalamazoo, at 1500 N. Pitcher St.
The project will allow retention of the existing 725 jobs at the mill but will not add more, the company said.
The company plans to break ground in the next couple months, and the machine will be running by early 2022, said Susan Appleyard, director of corporate communications for Graphic Packaging.
The machine is expected to have an annual capacity of approximately 500,000 tons, the company said. This will represent 44% of the North American CRB production and will make Michigan the highest CRB manufacturing state in the U.S., according to documents from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation.
The investment will be funded from cash flow and existing credit facilities, with most of the spending occurring in 2020 and 2021, the company said.
The MEDC approved a $21 million brownfield plan for the project that includes $8.6 million in school tax capture and $12.5 million in local tax capture.
The MEDC also approved a state essential services assessment exemption for up to 15 years valued at up to $7.3 million.
Graphic Packaging makes paper-based packaging for a wide variety of products for food, beverage, food service and other consumer products companies. The company has operations in North America, South America, Asia, Europe and Australia. Graphic Packaging also has a carton plant in Kalamazoo and two mills in White Pigeon and Battle Creek.
Posted By: Grand Rapids Business Journal on September 25, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2019, Signature completed more than 1,032 transactions totaling 27.7 million square feet and 2,435 acres with a total value of $994 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,032 transactions in 2019.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is proud to be featured as a Best & Brightest Companies to Work for 3 consecutive years, Cool Places to Work for 4 consecutive years, and Top Workplaces for 6 consecutive years.
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.