Panera to close downtown Birmingham location, open first spot in Royal Oak
The bakery-cafe will close its 100 N. Old Woodward Ave. shop “sometime in June or July” and move to the new Woodward Corners development at 13 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue headed by Beaumont Health.
Kimberly Carroll, manager of the Birmingham location, confirmed the move to Crain’s. “Bigger store, new opportunities,” she said, referring to the reasoning behind the decision.
The Birmingham location, also about 5,300 square feet, is in the center of downtown at the corner of Old Woodward Avenue and Maple Road — prime real estate in the upscale Oakland County city. Birmingham completed last year a $7 million overhaul of its downtown that included a new streetscape for its main drag.
The new location would be Panera’s first in Royal Oak, which has long been abuzz with coffee shops and restaurants. Panera will join New Order Coffee Roasters, Wahlburgers, a smaller-footprint Meijer Inc. grocery store and Brown Iron Brewhouse in the new development, which is expected to open its first phase in June.
Ingrid Tighe, executive director of the Birmingham Shopping District, said two perspective retailers are doing due diligence on the property. She declined to reveal their names, but said they are not restaurants. She said the city knew about Panera’s plans for the past two or three months and that it is moving to boost visibility.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on April 2, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.