Parts of Monroe now labeled ‘Opportunity Zones’
The U.S. Department of Treasury announced the designation of two U.S. Census tracts in the City of Monroe as Opportunity Zones. The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act created the zones as a preferential tax incentive tool to spur new investment in distressed communities throughout the country.
The first property is the area north of the river from the CSX railroad tracks west to almost Raisinville Rd. in Raisinville Township and north to the city line. The property includes Telegraph Rd., Monroe Custer Airport and Munson Park.
The second property is along the Port of Monroe east of Kentucky Ave. to Lake Erie. That parcel also stretches just south of E. Elm Ave. to the city limits.
The city submitted a third nomination that included the downtown, but it was not among the 288 tracts selected in Michigan. Mark Cochran, economic development coordinator, said the city is pleased two of three nominations were selected.
“The census tracts designated represent two of our highest priority redevelopment areas in the city’s economic development strategy, including the Winchester and Orchard East neighborhoods, as well as the Telegraph Road corridor,” Cochran said. “While new and unique, the Opportunity Zone represents yet another incentive tool that can be combined with other resources in our economic development toolkit. Having tools like this available are crucial to us in our efforts to entice developers to invest in our community.”
The qualified opportunity zones retain the designation for 10 years. The program provides a tax incentive for investors to reinvest in unrealized capital gains into Opportunity Funds dedicated to investing in the zones, a news release said. Funds can be used to create new businesses, new commercial or residential real estate or infrastructure.
The IRS is currently working on guidance for the establishment of Opportunity Funds, which should be finalized by the end of May. Last week, U.S. Rep. Tim Walberg, R-Tipton, recognized 15 zones within Michigan’s 7th Congressional District.
“The creation of these new Opportunity Zones is a promising tool to help spur greater economic development in communities that need it most,” Walberg said in a statement.
“By incentivizing new investment in these areas, we can pave the way for more job growth and generate new economic opportunities across our state,” he added. “The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is already delivering positive results for Michigan workers and families and this program is another illustration of how the new tax law will help improve people’s lives.”
Posted By: The Monroe News on April 19, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.