Pet spa, yoga studio part of Royal Oak apartment-retail development
Metro Detroit residents looking for a place to live in a couple of years will have a housing option where they can live, have access to a bistro cafe, get their pets pampered and practice yoga, all in the same complex.
Construction started this week on an apartment-retail development at the northeast corner of Woodward Avenue at I-696 in Royal Oak, according to Singh Development LLC. The long vacant, 4.4-acre site is less than a mile south of downtown.
The Griffin will have 245 “sophisticated apartment homes” above 10,000 square feet of commercial retail space, Singh said in a press release.
Projected monthly rents will range from $1,400 to $3,000, according to Amy Jones, a spokeswoman for the developer.
Jones said construction started on Monday and the first units are expected to be available in 2020.
The site was purchased from the Royal Oak Downtown Development Authority through a request for proposal process after being vacant for several decades. Singh paid the DDA $2.5 million for the site, City Manager Don Johnson. He said the cost of the project is pegged at $40 million.
Avi Grewal, project manager of Singh, said the complex will cater to residents living an active, urban lifestyle and is designed to enhance the character of everyone’s unique lifestyle.
“What differentiates this complex from others in the area is not only the variety of amenities, but the quality and life enrichment of each one,” he said in the news release. “From an urban park to a yoga studio to a pet spa, The Griffin offers unique opportunities for wellness and engagement in an apartment community its residents will truly love to call home.”
Additional future complex amenities include:
-Spacious fitness center
-Bike repair room
Apartments will range in size from studios to three-bedrooms.
Grewal said The Griffin’s location is a prime location with easy access to Royal Oak, Ferndale and downtown Detroit.
“Our goal for The Griffin is to make it the most luxurious apartment community available in all of metro Detroit,” he said. “We are excited to offer a place where Royal Oak citizens will experience the finest living in an apartment community designed to help them live life to the fullest every day.”
The property, across Woodward from the Detroit Zoo, was originally home to a car dealership that was razed as part of the construction of I-696, which opened in 1989. Over the years, dozens of developers have eyed the parcel, one of the most visible pieces of vacant land in southeast Michigan, passed daily by tens of thousands of motorists.
Many of the developers invested heavily in plans for pie-in-the-sky projects that came close to fruition. Among the hopes that went awry were a mini-convention center, a hotel topped by condos, a car dealership under an office tower, and the LA Fitness Center that ultimately was built nearby. One developer even wanted to build an aquarium linked by a skywalk over Woodward Avenue to the Detroit Zoo. More recently, Children Hospital of Michigan proposed a major suburban care center in 2012, announced the plan with fanfare, then canceled a few months later and built its satellite center on Big Beaver Road near I-75.
In the pre-freeway era, the parcel held a car dealership that fronted old 10 Mile Road. In the late 1970s, state highway officials purchased the dealership and adjoining properties, then demolished the structures as they prepared to build I-696. Later, this parcel and others nearby were deeded by the state to an arm of Royal Oak DDA, which has been trying ever since to get something built that would bring in property tax dollars, despite neighboring residents’ wish that the space become a non-taxable city park.
Posted By: Detroit Free Press on June 14, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.