Royal Oak’s Tennis & Golf Company sold out of Chapter 11
Founded in 1977, the specialty shop selling tennis, golf, running, and fitness equipment and clothing filed a voluntary petition for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on March 7 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Steve Kopitz, who previously owned Bloomfield Hills-based Summit Sports Inc. which includes the ski shop Don Thomas Sporthaus in Birmingham and online ski retailer Skis.com, purchased the specialty shop with Andy Schepper, former COO of Summit Sports, according to a news release.
Last year, the shop, which has never had an online transaction, generated $5.5 million in annual revenue, according to Schepper.
The shop’s brands and stellar reputation made the purchase a “no-brainer” for the new owners who plan to apply their internet expertise to create an online specialty shopping experience, Schepper said.
“You don’t come across a lot of opportunities to buy a 42-year-old store that has this kind of reputation,” Schepper said.
The shop features tennis racket brands including Germany-based Völkl and more, along with a “hitting lane” where a machine spits out tennis balls, allowing customers to test demo rackets, the release said.
The 18,500-square-foot location carries menswear and boys’ clothing brands including, Travis Matthew, Mizzen+Main, Devereux and fashion brands such as Polo Golf, Daily Sports, Lucky in Love and Belyn Key, according to the release.
The store has done an “amazing job” at offering a product mix of small, boutique brands and larger brands that changes frequently and attracts a loyal customer base, according to Schepper. The new owners plan to continue that concept and, from an e-commerce standpoint, increase the store’s brand offerings, he said.
As part of a “Kid’s Day” celebration, the shop is giving away tennis rackets to the first 250 kids on July 13 starting at 9 a.m., the release said.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on July 8, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.