Southfield talks with developers as Northland Center demolition takes another step
The old Firestone building at Northland Center will meet the wrecking ball Monday morning as the city of Southfield moves forward on plans to redevelop the 125-acre site.
Demolition of the structure near Greenfield and Eight Mile roads was scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Dore & Associates Contracting Inc. of Bay City is overseeing the work, expected to last two weeks, through a $572,650 contract the city awarded last year, a news release said.
The city obtained the deed to the building when it acquired the vacant mall property for $2.4 million in 2015. Officials promised to remediate, demolish and sell the large swath of land for development. A year later, the city of Southfield revealed an ambitious plan to attract hotel, apartments, retail and office developments.
Environmental assessment and remediation of other parts of the mall continues as more demolitions are planned for the months ahead, the release said.
Developers have begun to show interest in the site. A San Diego health care developer is looking at taking about 25 acres. The city is also considering separate proposals from Bloomfield Hills-based Edward Rose & Sons and Southfield-based General Development Corp. to build senior housing and office space, respectively, on about 50 acres total.
Northland was the largest shopping mall in the world when it opened in 1954. The shopping center, once anchored by J.L. Hudson’s, J.C. Penney and Target, closed in 2015 and saw its first wrecking ball in 2017.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on August 27, 2018. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.