US Signal starts construction on new data center
US Signal Co. LLC began construction this week on a new data center in Van Buren Township, between Detroit and Ann Arbor.
Work on the 100,000-square-foot data center, US Signal’s fourth in Michigan and eighth in the Midwest, began after the planning commission for Van Buren Township approved plans for the project.
The Grand Rapids-based company told MiBiz last fall that it’s running out of room at an existing data center in Southfield as clients increasingly opt for off-site or cloud-based data storage run by outside I.T. service providers.
The company began planning the new data center last year after a client survey confirmed that the majority of businesses were already utilizing third-party data center and cloud providers to manage day-to-day operations of their I.T. infrastructure. The trend will become even more pronounced in the coming years, David Wisz, executive vice president of Operations at US Signal, said in a news release this week on the project.
“More businesses than ever before are opting for managed data center solutions and services — and we have responded with new strategic and technical partnerships. All these factors make our data center investment both prudent and timely — enabling us to further extend our offering and fuel our growth far into the future,” Wisz said.
US Signal also operates about 14,000 mile of optic fiber in 10 states. The company employs about 200 people and has clients nationwide, about 70 percent of which are based in the Midwest.
In addition to the four Michigan facilities, including two in the Grand Rapids area, plus Southfield, US Signal has data centers Oakbrook, Ill., Madison, Wis., and Indianapolis and South Bend, Ind. Data centers are at least 200 miles apart and operate on separate power grids to minimize potential disruptions from natural disasters.
Posted By: MiBiz on June 7, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.