Vester Square development would create shopping, dining, park campus in Ferndale
Vester Square — a three-phase redevelopment project estimated to cost $20 million-$25 million— is making its way through Ferndale government approvals, according to city officials and a lead developer, Christian Fuller of Birmingham.
Vester Square would comprise a restaurant with a rooftop deck, privately owned but publicly usable green space, a food market, other commercial space and a new building with eight townhome-style residential units.
In the first phase, the developer would renovate an existing building at 621 Vester Ave. and add a second story, building out a 4,050-square-foot restaurant with a rooftop patio. It would also build around 1,500 square feet of adjoining space for retail that could house “anything from fitness studios to an ice cream shop,” Fuller said.
The second segment of work — expected to start construction in fall 2020 — would create the actual Vester Square the project is named after: approximately 9,000 square feet of green space funded and maintained by the developers, according to Fuller and city documents. That would be joined by a new two-story, approximately 6,000-square-foot building called The Station. It would likely be home to a market that Fuller described as a “very small Ferndale version of an Eastern Market,” or farmers market, that offers fish, fresh butchered meat, bites to eat and room for events.
In the third phase, slated for a spring 2021 construction start, Vester Square would get a three-story mixed-use development with eight townhomes on its second and third stories.
Fuller declined to price out the three individual phases. He has signed on McIntosh Poris Associates of Birmingham as architect.
SOMI and related entities started out buying an impound lot, and their holdings off the main Nine Mile Road drag grew as businesses around them closed and houses fell into disrepair due to flooding.
Posted By: Crain’s Detroit Business on October 7, 2019. For more information, please click here to read the source article.
To receive the In The Know from Signature Associates, please click here to be added to our mailing list.
« Back to News
Did you know?
- In 2018, Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions totaling 29.8 million square feet and 1,494 acres with a total value of $969 million.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature completed more than 1,129 transactions in 2018.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is featured as: Best & Brightest Companies to Work For 2018 & 2017, Cool Places to Work 2018, 2017 & 2016, and Top Workplaces 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.