Shunned by shoppers and squeezed by online retail, iconic Detroit malls to get new lives
Eastland Center and Northland Center malls opened in the 1950s to the fanfare of Metro Detroiters looking for a suburban shopping experience. Decades and the internet later, both sites face different futures. Eastland on Vernier Road in Harper Woods will close in January, and an industrial facility will be built in its place. The former […]
At age 50, Franklin Park Mall tries to swim against the retail current
What kind of birthday gift do you buy for a shopping mall? In the case of Franklin Park Mall, which reaches 50 years old July 22, the answer is probably a dozen or so new tenants to help put it on the path toward another half-century. But Toledo’s premier shopping venue didn’t survive this long […]
Mall at Partridge Creek faces reckoning amid pandemic, debt
The Mall at Partridge Creek faces a challenging year that could lead to foreclosure, a predicament experts attribute most directly to the booming growth in online shopping spurred by the 10-month-long COVID-19 pandemic. Starwood Capital Partners, the owner of the luxury outdoor mall in Macomb County, hasn’t made an interest payment on its loan in six months. And […]
Southfield City Council to discuss sale of vacant Northland mall for $11M
The Southfield City Council is expected Monday to discuss a proposal for the sale of the former Northland Center for $11 million to a Bloomfield Hills company that plans to redevelop it into apartments, restaurants and retail space. The sale to Contour Companies of Bloomfield Hills is expected to be finalized in January and construction is […]
Most U.S. Shoppers Say They Won’t Set Foot in a Mall This Year
For most Americans, this holiday shopping season won’t include one longtime staple: the mall. Just 45% of U.S. consumers plan to go to a shopping mall this season, down from 64% who visited last November and December, according to an International Council of Shopping Centers survey released Friday. The forecast is a fresh blow to American malls […]
Franklin Park Mall to get new operator
Toledo’s premier retail center, Franklin Park Mall, may be about to get a new operator. The previous mall owner-operator, Starwood Capital Group, of Chicago, was pushed out three months ago after one of its subsidiaries, Starwood West Limited, defaulted on $254 million worth of bonds used to buy Franklin Park and six other malls in […]
Simon Property Group Seeks to Terminate Acquisition of Taubman Centers Inc. in Bloomfield Hills
Simon Property Group Inc., one of the nation’s largest retail center owners, today announced it exercised its contractual rights in an attempt to terminate its Feb. 9, 2020 planned merger agreement with Taubman Centers Inc. in Bloomfield Hills. Simon also filed an action today in the Circuit Court for the 6th Judicial Circuit of Oakland County […]
Some metro Detroit malls to reopen this week — with changes
Three of the region’s most high-profile regional shopping centers are due to reopen later this week following a complete shutdown since the end of March. The owners of Great Lakes Crossing Outlets in Auburn Hills, Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi and Somerset Collection in Troy say patrons can shop there once again beginning Thursday and […]
Mall at Partridge Creek owner in default on $725 million mortgage
The owner of The Mall at Partridge Creek in Clinton Township is in default on its mortgage. The November default on a balloon payment on a $725 million debt that is also secured by three other malls in Florida, Virgina and North Carolina makes it the latest metro Detroit shopping center to enter into choppy […]
Simon’s $3.6B Taubman Buy a Positive Sign for Class A Malls
Simon Property Group Inc.’s pending acquisition of an 80 percent interest in Taubman Centers Inc.’s The Taubman Realty Group LP will give Simon majority ownership of some of the highest quality malls in the U.S. And the $3.6 billion price tag on the 25 million-square-foot portfolio serves as a vote of confidence in the future of premier […]
Mall adding four stores
Coming off of a storm of activity in 2019, Woodland Mall announced its latest lineup of new and first-to-market retailers for 2020. Champs Sports, a major North American specialty sports retailer, will be the first of four stores to open at the mall, followed by Aéropostale, Sephora and White House Black Market. These new retailers […]
Woodland Mall shows off $100M renovation, new Von Maur department store
Shoppers at Woodland Mall have plenty new to see these days. Two years after workers demolished the former Sears store that once anchored the mall, Woodland officials on Thursday showed off a $100 million renovation project that replaces the space once occupied by the iconic retailer. The new wing is anchored by a Von Maur department store, […]
The state of the metro Detroit shopping mall
High-end malls like some in Oakland County are expected to continue to perform well far into the future in spite of a changing mall landscape in the state’s wealthiest county, and across the state and country. In fact, contrary to the popular notion that brick and mortar retail is dying a slow death at the […]
Did you know?
- Signature Associates consistently maintains 42% of the market share, completes thousands of transactions and over a billion dollars’ worth of business annually in local, national, and international transactions.
- Signature Associates has 6 veterans or active duty military officers.
- Almost 60% of Signature’s professionals have been with the firm at least 10 years.
- Signature Associates consistently maintains 42% of the market share.
- Signature loves animals! Over 60 professionals have dogs and 20 professionals have cats and collectively we’ve raised thousands of dollars in the last year alone for area animal shelters.
- Signature is proud to be featured as one of the Best & Brightest Companies to Work For, Cool Places to Work and Top Workplaces.
- Signature Associates and its team donate time and money to over 40 organizations throughout Michigan, Ohio and the United States.
- Signature Advisory and Management Services team performed comprehensive construction management services for projects totaling over $60 million and managed more than 8 million square feet of commercial space for our third-party clients, making us the largest locally owned third-party property management firm in the market.
- Signature Associates has completed more industrial leases than any other brokerage firm.
- Signature Team Cares was formed in January 2017 to help further our efforts and long history of partnering with local organizations to improve lives and to benefit our communities.